When Politics Changes the Music: Why I Stopped Listening to The Smashing Pumpkins After Billy Corgan’s Alex Jones Appearance

 There are moments as a music fan when something shifts permanently. A band you once enjoyed suddenly becomes difficult to hear the same way. Songs that once felt nostalgic, emotional, or meaningful now carry a different weight. Sometimes that change comes from overplaying the music. Sometimes it comes from growing apart artistically. And sometimes it comes from the actions, choices, or public associations of the people behind the music.

That is how I feel about 1979 and, more broadly, The Smashing Pumpkins.

There was a time when 1979 stood as one of those iconic alternative rock songs that seemed untouchable. It had atmosphere, youthfulness, melancholy, and that floating nostalgic quality that made it resonate with so many people. Even listeners who were not deep fans of the band often knew the song. It crossed boundaries because it captured a feeling more than just a sound. It represented moments slipping away, adolescence fading, and memory turning soft around the edges.

But music does not exist in a vacuum.

At some point, when Billy Corgan appeared on Alex Jones years ago around the time of the first Donald Trump administration, it changed how I viewed things. For me, that appearance was not just a random media stop. It symbolized a willingness to engage with a platform that had become deeply associated with conspiracy culture, disinformation, and toxic political currents.

And once that association lodged in my mind, I could not separate it from the music anymore.

Some people insist that art should always be separated from the artist. They argue that songs should stand alone regardless of what musicians say, do, or endorse publicly. In theory, that sounds clean and simple. In practice, it is much messier. Art is made by people. Those people move through the world making choices, taking positions, aligning themselves with certain spaces, and influencing how audiences interpret their work.

You cannot always force yourself to forget that.

For me, after seeing that connection, I refused to listen to The Smashing Pumpkins again. That includes songs like 1979. Not because the music itself suddenly changed sonically, but because my relationship to it changed. The emotional context changed. The trust changed. The feeling changed.

That is something many fans experience with different artists across genres and generations. Sometimes it is political extremism. Sometimes it is abuse allegations. Sometimes it is repeated offensive behavior. Sometimes it is hypocrisy. Whatever the reason, there comes a point where the enjoyment gets interrupted by awareness.

And once awareness enters, the listening experience is no longer innocent.

Every person draws that line differently. Some listeners can compartmentalize forever. Others cannot. Neither reaction is universal. But it is valid when someone says, “I just cannot enjoy this anymore.” Music is emotional. If the emotional connection is damaged, the enjoyment can disappear with it.

That is what happened here.

When I think of 1979 now, I do not only think of drifting guitars and nostalgia. I think of disappointment. I think of how public figures choose where they lend their presence. I think of how platforms matter. I think of how seemingly casual appearances can carry symbolic meaning, especially during politically volatile times.

And to be clear, this is not about demanding perfection from artists. No musician will align with every listener on every issue. That is unrealistic. But there is a difference between normal disagreement and knowingly entering spaces built on harmful narratives. Fans are allowed to notice that difference. Fans are allowed to respond to it.

One of the strange things about growing older is realizing that cultural icons are not frozen in the versions of themselves we first encountered. The singer from the beloved 90s band keeps living, speaking, appearing, and making decisions in the present. Sometimes those decisions enrich the legacy. Sometimes they complicate it. Sometimes they fracture it entirely for certain listeners.

That can be disappointing because music often attaches to personal memories. Songs become soundtracks to years of your life. Letting go of them can feel like losing a small piece of your own history. But sometimes people decide that continuing to engage no longer feels right, and that boundary matters too.

There is also a broader lesson here about celebrity platforms. Public appearances are never meaningless. They send messages, whether intended or not. They legitimize spaces, draw attention, normalize associations, and shape perception. Artists know this, or should know this. Fans know it too.

So when people later say, “Why do you care?” the answer is simple: because context matters.

For me, the result was straightforward. I stopped listening. I refused to return to those songs. Others may choose differently, and that is their call. But once that line was crossed in my mind, the connection was broken.

Maybe some people can still hear 1979 exactly as they always did, untouched by any outside knowledge. I cannot. Once the meaning around a song changes, the song itself can feel changed.

That is one of the realities of art in the real world. It is not preserved in glass. It moves through politics, culture, ethics, disappointment, and memory.

And sometimes, a song you once loved becomes a song you leave behind.

Comments

Popular posts

Why We Are Augustines Remain Underrated: Book of James, the Rockaways, and Indie-Folk Storytelling

Swing Meets Samba: A Pagode Fusion Cover of “The Girl from Ipanema”

Jessie J’s “Price Tag”: Why It Still Hits Different in 2025