August 11: The Day I Released My Debut Album

 August 11, 2026, wasn't just another day on the calendar for me.

It was my late uncle's birthday.

He died in 2019.

For years, August 11 has carried a certain weight for me. It was a date connected to someone I loved and lost. A date that could easily become associated with sadness, grief, and everything that comes with losing someone.

But this year, something different happened.

I released my debut album on that date.

And honestly?

I almost didn't.

I Wasn't Planning to Release It Yet

Before August 11, I was still trying to figure out when I wanted to release my debut album.

I was thinking about timing.

I was thinking about whether I should wait.

I was thinking about whether I should give myself more time.

I had already put so much work into the project that I didn't want to just throw it out into the world immediately.

There was this part of me that wanted to hold off.

Maybe release it later.

Maybe wait a few more weeks.

Maybe figure everything out first.

I was planning.

Thinking.

Overthinking.

Trying to find the "right" release date.

And then August 11 came around.

I knew what day it was.

I knew it was my uncle's birthday.

And I started thinking about the meaning that date had carried for me.

Then I had a thought.

Why not?

Why couldn't August 11 become something else too?

Why couldn't I take a day that had become associated with loss and give it another meaning?

And that's when I basically said:

Fuck it.

Let's release the album today.

Turning a Sad Date Into a Historic One

So I made the decision.

August 11, 2026.

That's the release date.

My debut album, Jaime David, was going out into the world.

And suddenly, August 11 meant something completely different.

It was still my uncle's birthday.

It still carried the memory of him.

That doesn't disappear.

But now it also became the day I released my first album.

It became the day I officially stepped into something I had never really thought I'd do.

It became the day I could look back on and say:

That's when I became a musician.

And I love that.

Because I don't want August 11 to be defined only by death.

I don't want it to be only a sad day.

I don't want it to be only a reminder of somebody who isn't here anymore.

I wanted to create something.

Something new.

Something alive.

Something that could continue existing long after that day.

So I did.

Maybe That's What Art Is About

There's something poetic about releasing an album on the birthday of someone who died years ago.

Because music is about creating something that continues.

A song can outlive the person who wrote it.

A recording can exist decades later.

A lyric can reach someone who wasn't even alive when it was written.

Art has a way of surviving us.

And maybe that's why this date felt right.

My uncle isn't here anymore.

But August 11 is still here.

And now, something I created exists on that date too.

Every year when August 11 comes around, I won't just think about loss.

I'll also be able to think:

That's the day I released my first album.

That's the day I took a chance.

That's the day I decided to stop waiting.

That's the day I said, "Fuck it. I'm doing this."

And honestly, I think that's pretty damn meaningful.

I Didn't Need the Perfect Moment

I think I was getting caught up in the idea that there had to be a perfect release date.

The perfect time.

The perfect plan.

The perfect circumstances.

But there really isn't such a thing.

At some point, you have to stop planning and start doing.

And August 11 gave me that push.

I realized that I could keep thinking about when to release the album.

Or I could actually release the damn thing.

So I chose the latter.

And I'm glad I did.

Because now the album has a story attached to it that I never could have planned.

It isn't just my debut album.

It's the album I released on my late uncle's birthday.

It's the album that transformed August 11 for me.

It's the album that came into existence because, on that particular day, I decided to stop waiting.

A Day Can Hold More Than One Meaning

I think that's something we sometimes forget.

A day can be sad and happy.

It can be painful and beautiful.

It can remind you of someone you've lost while also reminding you of something you've created.

Those emotions don't have to cancel each other out.

I can miss my uncle.

I can remember him.

I can acknowledge that he died in 2019.

And I can still celebrate what happened on August 11, 2026.

Those things can exist together.

And maybe that's what makes the date even more meaningful.

I'm not replacing the memory of him.

I'm adding another chapter to the meaning of the day.

I'm taking something that could have remained entirely somber and saying:

This is going to be a day of creation too.

My Debut Album Became Part of My Story

Jaime David is my debut album.

It's the first major musical project I've released.

It's a collection of songs that represents where I was creatively at this particular point in my life.

And now, its release date is permanently connected to August 11.

That means every time I look back at the album, I'll remember that moment.

I'll remember sitting there and thinking about whether I should wait.

I'll remember going back and forth.

I'll remember realizing that I was overthinking everything.

And I'll remember saying:

Fuck it. Release it today.

That decision might have been spontaneous.

But I'm really glad I made it.

Because sometimes the moments that seem impulsive at the time become the moments you remember forever.

August 11, 2026

So that's what August 11 became.

Not just a birthday.

Not just a date associated with someone I lost.

Not just a day of remembrance.

It became the day I released my debut album.

It became a day of music.

A day of creation.

A day of taking a chance.

A day of beginning something new.

And in my own personal history, I think August 11, 2026, is going to be historic.

Because that's the day I released Jaime David.

That's the day I stopped waiting for the perfect moment.

That's the day I decided that the album was ready to exist in the world.

And that's the day I took a date that had been connected to loss and gave it another story.

A story about creation.

A story about music.

A story about moving forward.

I don't think that makes the sadness disappear.

And I don't want it to.

But now, when August 11 comes around, there will be another feeling there too.

Pride.

Because I made something.

I released something.

I created something that didn't exist before.

And I chose to do it on a day that already meant so much to me.

So here's to August 11.

Here's to my uncle.

Here's to music.

Here's to creation.

And here's to the beginning of my journey as a musician.

August 11, 2026.

The day I said:

Fuck it. I'm releasing my album today.

And I'm damn glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts

Why We Are Augustines Remain Underrated: Book of James, the Rockaways, and Indie-Folk Storytelling

Swing Meets Samba: A Pagode Fusion Cover of “The Girl from Ipanema”

Jessie J’s “Price Tag”: Why It Still Hits Different in 2025