My CD Collecting Journey: Apparently, I Need to Check the Damn Cases

 There is something deeply satisfying about collecting physical music in an age when practically every song ever recorded is sitting somewhere on the internet waiting to be streamed. I know I can open Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, or whatever other service I happen to be using and find an enormous percentage of the music I could possibly want to hear. I know that, technically, I don't need a wall of CDs. I don't need jewel cases taking up space. I don't need to hunt through garage sales, thrift stores, used record shops, flea markets, or online marketplaces looking for old albums. I don't need to spend time wondering whether a particular CD is going to be scratched, whether the case is cracked, whether the booklet is missing, or whether the disc is actually inside the damn case.

And yet, here I am.

I have started collecting CDs.

It wasn't necessarily something I expected to become particularly invested in. For a long time, physical media felt like something that belonged to another era. CDs were everywhere when I was growing up, of course, but streaming eventually became the normal way to listen to music. The idea of physically owning an album became less of a necessity and more of a choice. And honestly, I think that is part of what makes collecting CDs appealing to me now. When I buy a CD, I'm not buying it because I need the music. I'm buying it because I want the physical object. I want the album. I want the artwork. I want the booklet. I want the little plastic case. I want the whole thing.

There is something about having an actual physical representation of music that feels different.

Maybe part of it is nostalgia. Maybe part of it is just the weirdness of collecting things. Maybe it is because music has become so intangible that having something physical feels increasingly special. A streaming library is convenient, but it is also ephemeral. You don't really see the music sitting on your shelf. You don't have a tangible reminder that you own a particular album. You just search for it, press play, and move on.

A CD is different.

A CD sits there.

It exists.

You can pick it up.

You can look at the cover.

You can open it.

You can read the booklet.

You can put the disc into a player and hear the music without needing a streaming subscription, an internet connection, an account, an algorithm, or a company deciding whether the album is still available.

Of course, collecting physical media also means discovering one of the great truths of human existence: people are fucking weird about used CDs.

And that brings me to my recent garage sale adventure.

I found some CDs at a garage sale recently and, naturally, I got excited. Garage sales can be great for this sort of thing because you never quite know what you're going to find. You might find some random obscure album that you have never heard of. You might find something you remember from childhood. You might find a movie soundtrack. You might find an artist you have been meaning to check out. You might find a CD that would cost significantly more online but is sitting on somebody's folding table for a dollar.

And when something is a dollar, my brain apparently stops functioning.

I bought five CDs.

Five.

Not fifty. Not five hundred. Five.

And because they were only a dollar each, I apparently decided that I had entered into some kind of financial risk-free zone where normal purchasing procedures no longer applied.

There was only one tiny problem.

I didn't check whether the CDs were actually inside the cases.

Yes.

I know.

I know.

This was my fault.

There is no elaborate conspiracy here. There is no villainous garage-sale proprietor who carefully removed the discs and secretly plotted against me. There isn't even a particularly interesting story behind it.

I simply failed to check.

I saw the CDs. I looked at the cases. I thought, "Oh, cool." I bought them.

And then I got home.

And discovered that four of the five CDs were missing the actual discs.

Four.

Out of five.

I had purchased five CD cases and one CD.

That is an impressively bad ratio.

There is something almost comical about getting home from a garage sale, excited about your new music purchases, opening the cases, and realizing that you've basically bought four empty plastic containers.

At first, I had to laugh.

What else was I going to do?

I mean, technically, I had only spent five dollars. This wasn't some catastrophic financial disaster. I wasn't suddenly going to have to sell my furniture to recover from the loss. I hadn't lost hundreds of dollars. I hadn't been scammed out of my life savings.

But still.

Four out of five.

Come on.

If one of them had been missing, I could have shrugged and thought, "Okay, annoying." Maybe two would have been irritating. But four? At that point, it becomes almost impressive.

I had somehow managed to garage-sale my way into collecting empty CD cases.

And that's when the more practical part of my brain kicked in and reminded me that I actually wanted the music.

The cases weren't enough.

The whole point of collecting CDs is that I want the CDs.

So I started looking online.

And this is where the $5 garage-sale purchase began turning into something considerably more expensive.

Because, naturally, the discs were available on eBay.

Of course they were.

eBay is simultaneously one of the greatest and most dangerous places for a collector. It is incredible when you're looking for something specific. If you need some obscure album from twenty years ago, there is a decent chance that somebody somewhere has listed a copy.

But that convenience comes with a price.

Sometimes literally.

Suddenly, my five-dollar purchase wasn't just a five-dollar purchase anymore. I was now looking for individual discs to put into the cases I had already bought.

This is the kind of thing that probably makes absolutely no sense to somebody who doesn't collect physical media.

They might look at the situation and say, "Why don't you just buy another copy?"

And honestly, that is a perfectly reasonable question.

But when you're collecting, the situation becomes more complicated.

Maybe I already have the original case.

Maybe the case has the artwork.

Maybe the booklet is inside.

Maybe I like having the original physical package.

Maybe I don't want to throw away what I already bought just because the previous owner apparently decided the discs were more useful somewhere else.

Maybe I am simply stubborn.

That last one is probably relevant.

So I started buying the missing discs.

And then the universe decided that I hadn't suffered enough.

One of the discs arrived.

Cracked.

The fucking disc was cracked.

I don't even know how to properly express the level of absurdity involved in this.

Imagine the sequence of events.

I go to a garage sale.

I see five CDs.

I buy them without checking the cases.

Four of the five discs are missing.

I then spend more money online to replace the missing discs.

One of the replacement discs arrives.

And it's fucking cracked.

At that point, all I could really do was stare at it and think:

You have got to be kidding me.

There is a particular kind of frustration that comes from something going wrong immediately after you've tried to fix something that already went wrong.

It's not just the individual problem. It's the accumulation.

First I made the stupid mistake.

Then I discovered the stupid mistake.

Then I spent additional money correcting the stupid mistake.

Then the correction arrived damaged.

It almost felt like the CD universe was personally mocking me.

I had gone from "Hey, cool, I found some cheap CDs!" to "Why am I spending money to assemble these fucking CDs one disc at a time?"

And this is the thing about collecting that nobody really explains when you first get into it.

The object you want is rarely just the object.

There are layers to it.

You want the album.

But maybe you want the original release.

Maybe you want the original artwork.

Maybe you want the booklet.

Maybe you want a particular pressing.

Maybe you want the disc itself to be in good condition.

Maybe you want the case to be intact.

Maybe you want the whole thing to look nice on your shelf.

And suddenly what seemed like a simple purchase becomes a scavenger hunt.

It is almost like archaeology, except instead of digging through the ground, you're digging through eBay listings and garage-sale tables.

And sometimes your archaeological discovery is an empty jewel case.

There is also something strangely funny about the way CDs exist as both music and objects.

The music itself is digital information encoded onto a little plastic disc. But the physical experience surrounding that disc is completely different. The disc has artwork printed on it. The case has a cover. There might be a booklet. There might be liner notes. There might be photographs. There might be lyrics. There might be credits.

When I buy a CD, I'm buying an artifact.

That's what makes the missing-disc problem so irritating.

An empty case isn't really the artifact.

It's part of it.

But it's incomplete.

It's like finding a book with all the pages ripped out.

Or buying a vinyl record sleeve and discovering there is no record.

Or buying a video game case and discovering somebody took the cartridge.

Technically, you own something.

But not the thing you thought you were buying.

And yet, even after this experience, I don't think I'm going to stop collecting CDs.

If anything, the experience has taught me a lesson.

Check the fucking case.

Seriously.

If you're buying a CD at a garage sale, thrift store, flea market, or anywhere else where you can physically inspect it, check the case.

Open it.

Look at the disc.

Make sure the disc is actually there.

Check whether it is cracked.

Check whether it looks like it has been through a wood chipper.

Check whether the case contains a completely unrelated CD.

Check whether there is a burned CD in there instead of the original.

Check everything.

I have now learned this lesson through experience.

And I paid approximately five dollars for the lesson, plus however much I've now spent replacing the missing discs.

Which is still not the worst tuition bill in the world.

But it is certainly an annoying one.

The funny thing is that this experience has actually made me think more about why I like collecting CDs in the first place.

There is a kind of treasure-hunting aspect to it.

When you're shopping for CDs online, you generally know what you're getting. You search for an album, find listings, compare prices, look at pictures, read descriptions, and make a purchase.

Garage sales are different.

You don't know what you're going to find.

You might walk up to a table and see a stack of CDs sitting there for a dollar each.

You might recognize an album immediately.

You might discover something you've never heard of.

You might find something you've been searching for.

You might find something completely ridiculous.

And sometimes you might find four empty cases.

That's part of the adventure, I guess.

There is something wonderfully random about physical-media collecting.

It reminds me of how music discovery used to feel before everything was instantly searchable.

You had to browse.

You had to look.

You had to take chances.

Sometimes you bought an album because you liked the cover.

Sometimes a friend recommended something.

Sometimes you heard one song on the radio.

Sometimes you saw an artist mentioned somewhere and decided to give them a chance.

And sometimes you just picked something up because it was sitting there for a dollar.

I think that's part of why collecting physical music has become appealing to me while I'm also making my own music.

I'm creating songs myself now. I'm experimenting with different sounds, instruments, vocals, AI-generated performances, Audacity-generated tones, and all kinds of strange combinations. I'm building my own little musical world.

And at the same time, I'm becoming more interested in the physical history of music.

There is something almost poetic about those two things happening simultaneously.

On one side, I'm making music in a very modern way.

On the other, I'm collecting an older physical format.

I can sit at my computer and create a bizarre experimental song from tones and sounds, and then I can turn around and put an actual compact disc into a CD player.

The contrast is kind of wonderful.

Music doesn't really have one correct format.

It can be a file.

It can be a streaming link.

It can be a CD.

It can be a vinyl record.

It can be a cassette.

It can be a live performance.

It can be someone humming into their phone.

It can be someone banging on a table with pens and deciding that, yes, that is now percussion.

Music is incredibly adaptable.

Maybe that's part of why collecting CDs feels right to me.

I'm not collecting them because I think streaming is bad.

I'm not collecting them because I believe CDs are somehow objectively superior.

I'm collecting them because I like them.

That's enough.

And despite the garage-sale disaster, I still love the idea of building a collection.

I like imagining what my shelf might eventually look like.

I like seeing albums together.

I like being able to physically pick something out and say, "I want to listen to this."

There is a ritual involved.

You take the CD off the shelf.

You open the case.

You take out the disc.

You put it into the player.

You press play.

And then the album begins.

It's a little more deliberate than opening an app and tapping a song.

Neither experience is inherently better.

They're just different.

Streaming is incredible for discovery and convenience. Physical media is incredible for ownership and connection to an object.

And I think I want both.

I can stream music.

I can make music digitally.

I can distribute music digitally.

I can listen to music digitally.

And I can still collect CDs.

There is no contradiction there.

In fact, I think the contradiction makes it more interesting.

The more music becomes intangible, the more interesting physical music becomes.

When albums were primarily physical objects, owning a CD wasn't particularly unusual.

Now it feels almost ceremonial.

You're choosing to own something that you could otherwise access without owning it.

That's a different relationship with music.

And yes, that relationship apparently includes occasionally buying four empty CD cases at a garage sale.

At least I got one actual disc.

One out of five.

A twenty percent success rate.

That's not exactly a glowing review of my purchasing strategy.

But maybe the real lesson here is that collecting isn't about having a perfect collection.

It's about the process.

It's about the stories attached to the things you collect.

Years from now, I might look at those CDs and remember this ridiculous experience.

I might remember buying them for a dollar each.

I might remember getting home and realizing four were empty.

I might remember searching eBay for replacement discs.

I might remember the moment that one arrived cracked and thinking, "What the fuck?"

And honestly, that makes the CDs more interesting.

They aren't just objects anymore.

They have a story.

That's one of the strange things about collecting.

Eventually, the collection becomes a record of your own life.

You remember where you found something.

You remember who you were with.

You remember how much it cost.

You remember whether it was difficult to find.

You remember whether you almost didn't buy it.

You remember the ridiculous circumstances surrounding the purchase.

And sometimes the story is, "I apparently forgot to check whether the damn CD was actually in the case."

That is now part of my collecting history.

I would certainly prefer that the replacement disc had not arrived cracked.

I would prefer not to spend extra money replacing something I thought I had already bought.

And I would especially prefer not to learn an extremely obvious lesson in the most annoying possible way.

But I suppose this is what happens when you start collecting physical media.

You learn.

You make mistakes.

You find bargains.

You occasionally get burned.

You search online.

You wait for packages.

You open packages.

Sometimes you're thrilled.

Sometimes you're disappointed.

Sometimes you get exactly what you wanted.

And sometimes you open the package and discover that the fucking thing is cracked.

That's the journey.

And I'm still on it.

If anything, this experience has made me more excited to keep looking.

The next time I see a box of CDs at a garage sale, I'm going to approach it differently.

I'm going to pick up the cases.

I'm going to open them.

I'm going to look inside.

I'm going to inspect the discs.

I'm going to make sure the thing I'm paying for actually exists.

And then, assuming everything checks out, I'm going to happily hand over my dollar and walk away with another piece of music history.

Because despite all the frustration, I still love the hunt.

I love finding music.

I love owning music.

I love the weird little artifacts that surround music.

And apparently, I love learning expensive lessons about checking CD cases.

So here's to the collection.

Here's to the garage-sale finds.

Here's to the eBay purchases.

Here's to the scratched discs, cracked cases, missing booklets, mysterious fingerprints, questionable sellers, unexpected treasures, and albums that somehow survive decades of being tossed around.

And most importantly, here's to checking the fucking CD case before you buy it.

Learn from my mistake.

Open the case.

Look inside.

Make sure the disc is there.

Because I have now personally discovered that "five CDs for five dollars" can very quickly turn into "five CD cases for five dollars, followed by a completely unnecessary eBay shopping spree."

And apparently, that is how my CD collecting journey continues.

One disc at a time.

Comments

Popular posts

Why We Are Augustines Remain Underrated: Book of James, the Rockaways, and Indie-Folk Storytelling

Swing Meets Samba: A Pagode Fusion Cover of “The Girl from Ipanema”

Jessie J’s “Price Tag”: Why It Still Hits Different in 2025