When “Ghost” Became More Than a Song: How Music, Loss, and Memories Found Me Through Justin Bieber
There are certain songs that are more than just songs. They are not simply melodies, lyrics, or a collection of instruments arranged in a certain way. Sometimes a song becomes a time capsule. Sometimes it becomes a doorway back to a moment, a person, or a feeling that you thought you had buried deep inside yourself. Sometimes a song finds a part of you that you did not even realize was still hurting.
For me, that song is “Ghost” by Justin Bieber.
Before I talk about why this song means so much to me, I have to talk about something that changed the way I experience music forever: losing someone I loved.
In 2019, my uncle passed away. At the time, I did not fully understand how much that loss would affect me. I had experienced sadness before. I had experienced disappointment, stress, and difficult moments in life. But this was different. This was the first major loss that truly shook me. This was the first time someone important to me was gone, and there was no fixing it, no going back, no waiting for things to return to normal.
Death has a strange way of changing how you see the world.
Before losing someone close, you can understand grief intellectually. You know what it means when someone says they miss somebody. You know what it means when someone says a song reminds them of someone they lost. You can empathize. You can imagine what it must feel like.
But there is a difference between understanding something and experiencing it.
Before 2019, I would see artists crying while performing songs on stage. I would see musicians break down while singing about personal experiences, loved ones, or painful memories. I always understood that it was emotional. I understood that music could be powerful. But there was still a part of me that wondered what it actually felt like to become so overwhelmed by a song that you could barely perform it.
I understood it from the outside.
I did not understand it from the inside.
Then my uncle died.
And suddenly, the meaning of certain songs changed.
The interesting thing is that “Ghost” did not even exist yet. When I lost my uncle in 2019, that song was still years away from being released. I had no idea that in 2021, a song would come out that would capture a feeling I had been carrying for years.
Then Justin Bieber released “Ghost.”
And something about it hit me immediately.
Now, I have to admit something: I was never really a huge Justin Bieber fan.
In fact, during his early years, I was one of those people who did not really enjoy his music. When he first became famous, I viewed his songs as typical mainstream pop. To me, it felt like the kind of music that was everywhere, playing constantly on the radio, and I personally did not connect with it. I thought it was generic pop music. I did not understand why everyone was so obsessed.
Obviously, artists change. People change. Music changes.
And sometimes an artist creates something that reaches people who never expected to connect with them.
That is what happened with “Ghost.”
The first time I heard the song, something immediately felt different. It was not just another pop song. It was not just another catchy chorus. There was a sense of longing, sadness, and love underneath the lyrics. It felt like a song about holding onto someone who is no longer physically there.
Then I watched the music video.
That was when everything really hit me.
The music video is about memories, family, love, and the pain of losing someone. Watching it brought back emotions I thought I had already processed. It reminded me of my uncle. It reminded me of what it feels like when someone important is no longer around. It reminded me of the strange feeling of continuing life while carrying memories of someone who cannot experience those moments with you anymore.
And I started crying.
Not just because the song was sad.
Because it was familiar.
It felt like someone had taken a feeling I had struggled to explain and turned it into music.
That is the power of art.
Sometimes the artist is not creating something specifically about your life, but somehow it feels like they are telling your story anyway.
“Ghost” was not written about my uncle. Justin Bieber did not know my personal experiences. The song was not created with my memories in mind. But somehow, through the combination of the lyrics, the melody, the emotion in the performance, and the imagery in the music video, it connected to something personal inside me.
That is what makes music incredible.
A song can belong to the person who created it and still become something completely different to the person listening.
Recently, as I have been practicing saxophone, I have found myself returning to this song again and again. There is something about playing an instrument that makes music feel even more personal. When you are not just listening, but physically creating the sound yourself, the emotion becomes different.
You breathe into the instrument.
You control the notes.
You feel the vibrations.
And sometimes, unexpectedly, those emotions come rushing back.
Practicing “Ghost” on saxophone has brought me to tears.
And honestly, that surprised me.
I always knew music could be emotional. I always knew certain songs could make people cry. But experiencing it myself while playing made me finally understand those performers I used to see breaking down on stage.
It is not just sadness.
It is memory.
It is love.
It is missing someone.
It is feeling connected to someone who is no longer physically here.
When an artist cries during a performance, sometimes people watching might think, “Why are they crying? They have performed this song so many times.”
But that is the thing.
Sometimes performing a song hundreds of times does not make it less emotional. Sometimes it makes it more emotional because the artist has lived with those words and melodies. Every performance can bring back the original emotions that inspired the song.
And listeners experience something similar.
A song becomes attached to moments in our lives.
A song can become attached to a person.
A song can become attached to a memory.
That is why hearing certain songs years later can instantly transport you back to a specific place or time. It is almost like your brain stored that song alongside the emotions you were feeling.
For me, “Ghost” became connected to my uncle.
It became connected to grief.
It became connected to the realization that even though someone is gone, their impact remains.
The title itself carries a powerful meaning. A ghost is something that is no longer physically present but still exists in some way. It is a memory. It is an echo. It is something from the past that continues to influence the present.
That is exactly how losing someone feels.
The person is gone, but the love is still there.
The memories are still there.
The lessons are still there.
The moments you shared are still there.
People sometimes talk about moving on after someone dies, but I think that phrase can be misunderstood. Moving on does not mean forgetting. It does not mean leaving someone behind. It means learning how to carry their memory with you as you continue living.
Songs like “Ghost” remind me of that.
They remind me that grief is not something that simply disappears. It changes over time. Sometimes it becomes quieter. Sometimes it returns unexpectedly through a song, a photograph, a smell, a place, or a random memory.
And when it returns, sometimes the healthiest thing you can do is let yourself feel it.
Let yourself cry.
Let yourself remember.
Let yourself acknowledge that someone mattered.
I think that is why this song affected me so much. It was not just because it was a beautiful song. It was because it arrived at a point in my life when I finally understood what those emotional performances were about.
Before my uncle died, I understood grief as an idea.
After my uncle died, I understood grief as an experience.
And after hearing “Ghost,” I understood how music can become a bridge between those two things.
A song can take something painful and make it beautiful.
A song can take a memory and give it a voice.
A song can make someone feel less alone.
That is why I have so much respect for artists who can create music that reaches people on such a deep level. Whether it is a massive pop artist like Justin Bieber or a small independent musician recording songs in their bedroom, the goal is often the same: to communicate something human.
And grief is one of the most human experiences there is.
Everyone eventually loses someone.
Everyone eventually has a memory they wish they could revisit.
Everyone eventually has a moment where they wish they could talk to someone who is no longer there.
Music gives us a way to process those feelings.
For me, “Ghost” is a reminder of my uncle. It is a reminder of love, loss, and the strange way people continue to exist in our lives even after they are gone.
It is a reminder that a song does not have to be written about you to be meaningful to you.
It just has to find something inside you.
And sometimes, when the right song finds the right person at the right moment, it can become something much bigger than music.
It can become a memory.
It can become a tribute.
It can become a connection between the past and the present.
“Ghost” became that for me.
A song I never expected to love from an artist I never expected to connect with.
A song that made me finally understand why musicians cry when they perform.
A song that reminds me that even though people may leave this world, the love they gave us does not disappear.
Sometimes it stays with us forever.
Sometimes it comes back through a melody.
Sometimes it comes back as a ghost.
Comments
Post a Comment