I Had to DIY Fit a New Saxophone Neck
Sometimes, playing music means doing more than just playing the instrument.
Sometimes, you have to become a little bit of a mechanic.
Recently, I ordered a new neck for my saxophone. I was excited to try it out, but when I went to put it onto the saxophone, I immediately ran into a problem.
The connector portion of the neck wasn't fitting.
It was simply too tight.
At first, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do about it. I didn't want to force the neck into the saxophone, because that seemed like a pretty good way to potentially damage something. So I started looking into how other saxophone players deal with this kind of problem.
That's when I came across a BetterSax video explaining how to DIY-fix a neck that doesn't quite fit.
The solution was surprisingly simple.
Sandpaper.
I got some sandpaper and carefully worked around the tenon—the connector portion of the neck that goes into the saxophone's body. Rather than aggressively sanding it down, I slowly twisted the sandpaper around the tenon, taking off only a very small amount at a time.
The goal wasn't to reshape the entire thing. I just needed to remove enough material so that the neck could actually fit.
And eventually, it worked.
The neck slid into the saxophone.
Problem solved.
Or so I thought.
Because then I noticed another problem.
The octave loop on the new neck was sitting too high. The octave bar on the saxophone wasn't reaching it.
So now I had a neck that physically fit onto the saxophone, but the octave mechanism wasn't properly connecting.
Fortunately, I was able to figure out another DIY solution.
Duct tape.
I put a small amount of duct tape around the octave loop—just enough to build it up so that the octave bar could actually reach it.
And, once again, it worked.
Now the neck fit onto the saxophone, and the octave mechanism was actually engaging properly.
Was this the most professional saxophone repair job in the world?
Probably not.
But that's not really the point.
I'm still learning the saxophone. I don't have years of experience as a professional saxophone technician, and I'm certainly not going to pretend that putting duct tape on something automatically makes me a repair expert.
But I also think there's something valuable about learning how your instrument works.
When you play an instrument, it's easy to think of it as this thing that you simply pick up and play. You put your fingers on the keys, blow into it, and hopefully music comes out.
But there's an entire mechanical system underneath that.
The neck has to fit properly. The octave mechanism has to line up. The keys have to move correctly. Tiny adjustments can make a difference.
And sometimes, something doesn't work quite right out of the box.
In this case, I was able to make a couple of very small adjustments and get the new neck working.
The sanding part especially taught me something: sometimes the solution isn't about making a huge change. It's about making a tiny change carefully.
I didn't sand the tenon down excessively. I just worked around it slowly until I had removed enough material for it to fit. That distinction matters.
There is definitely such a thing as taking off too much.
Once you remove material, you can't exactly put it back.
So I was deliberately conservative with it.
The same goes for the octave mechanism. I didn't need some elaborate modification. I just needed to compensate for the fact that the octave loop was sitting a little higher than the saxophone's octave bar could reach.
A little duct tape was enough.
And now I have a functioning new saxophone neck.
It's kind of funny, because this wasn't what I expected when I ordered it.
I thought I was ordering a new piece for my saxophone.
Instead, I apparently ordered a small DIY project.
But honestly, I'm not complaining.
One of the things I enjoy about learning music is that there is always something new to figure out. Sometimes that means learning a new song. Sometimes it means experimenting with different sounds. Sometimes it means figuring out how to record something.
And sometimes it means sitting there with sandpaper and duct tape wondering how the hell you're going to get your saxophone to work.
That's part of the journey too.
I'm sure a professional saxophone technician would have a much more sophisticated way of dealing with what I did here. And if something is seriously wrong with an instrument, I'd absolutely recommend having someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it.
But for this particular situation, I was able to make a couple of small adjustments myself.
And now?
The new neck fits.
The octave key works.
And I can get back to making music.
Sometimes that's all you need.
Comments
Post a Comment