I'm just going to be real with y'all about musicians, celebrities, and this whole “pro-Israel vs. pro-Palestine” thing.

I've been seeing so many people online keeping track of which celebrities are pro-Palestine and which celebrities are pro-Israel.

And as someone who makes music myself, I'm looking at all of this from the perspective of an artist.

And honestly?

I don't fucking care.

I don't care which celebrity is supposedly on which side.

Because I'm going to be brutally honest:

I don't think most of them truly are.

Not wholeheartedly.

Not in the way people seem to think they are.

Why?

Because they're performers.

They're entertainers.

Their careers are built around audiences, attention, trends, popularity, and staying culturally relevant.

And yes, I'm sure there are celebrities who genuinely believe what they're saying. I'm not going to claim that every single person is secretly lying.

But when you suddenly see huge numbers of famous people jumping into the same political conversation at roughly the same time, I'm going to question it.

Why now?

That's my question.

Why now?

Why are some of these enormous artists suddenly talking about Palestine and Israel when they barely, if ever, talked about either before?

Where the fuck were y'all?

Where were these statements years ago?

Where was the concern before social media made certain positions incredibly visible?

And yes, I understand that people online helped bring these issues into the mainstream conversation.

I understand that artists can become more aware of something over time.

People can learn.

People can change their minds.

People can become politically engaged later in life.

Of course they can.

But I'm still allowed to look at the sudden wave of celebrity activism and think:

This feels fucking disingenuous.

Because let's be honest about what the entertainment industry does.

It follows waves.

It follows trends.

It follows what's getting attention.

And right now, you've got a very visible pro-Palestine vs. pro-Israel cultural divide.

So some artists are going to ride the pro-Palestinian wave.

Others are going to ride the pro-Israel wave.

And either way, they're getting attention.

They're getting engagement.

They're getting headlines.

They're getting people talking about them.

And that's where I start wondering whether we're actually looking at political conviction—or whether we're looking at performers performing.

Because that's literally what they do.

They perform.

That's their job.

And I'm not saying that as an insult.

I'm a musician too.

I fucking love music.

I love artists.

I love performers.

But that's precisely why I'm skeptical when we suddenly start treating musicians like they're political authorities.

They're artists.

They're not diplomats.

They're not historians.

They're not government officials.

They're not representatives of millions of people.

They're musicians who happen to have enormous platforms.

And I think we've started putting way too much stock into what celebrities believe.

“Oh, this musician supports Palestine.”

“Oh, this musician supports Israel.”

“Oh, this actor posted this.”

“Oh, this singer didn't post that.”

Who gives a fuck?

Seriously.

Why are we treating celebrity political opinions like they're the fucking scoreboard?

And here's another thing I've noticed.

We've seen this cycle before.

Look at Ukraine.

For a while, Ukraine was everywhere.

Musicians talked about it.

Actors talked about it.

Celebrities posted about it.

Everybody had a statement.

Everybody had an opinion.

And then, eventually, the conversation became quieter.

Not because the people disappeared.

Not because the situation magically became irrelevant.

But because the news cycle moved on.

The same thing has happened with Palestine and Gaza repeatedly.

People talk about it intensely.

Celebrities speak out.

Social media explodes.

Everyone has their position.

And then eventually...

It fades into the background.

And I'm telling you right now: eventually, the same thing is going to happen again.

Not because the people involved don't matter.

They fucking do.

But because that's how attention works.

There's always another crisis.

Another war.

Another election.

Another scandal.

Another celebrity controversy.

Another fucking thing for everyone to argue about.

And eventually, people get tired.

They move on.

And the celebrity posts stop.

Until the next major escalation happens.

Then the cycle starts all over again.

And honestly, that's one of the reasons I'm skeptical of celebrity activism in the first place.

Because attention isn't the same thing as change.

A musician can write a song.

A singer can hold up a sign.

An actor can post an Instagram Story.

A rapper can say “Free Palestine” from a stage.

Another artist can say something supporting Israel.

And then everybody online argues about which celebrity is morally correct.

But what actually changed?

That's the part I'm interested in.

Because I'm not saying I don't care about the people involved.

I do.

I want Palestinians to be safe.

I want Israelis to be safe.

I want people to have peace.

I want people to have dignity.

I want people to have a future.

I'm not fucking heartless.

I'm just being realistic about the entertainment industry.

And as a musician myself, I think we should stop treating musicians like they're the fucking messiahs of every political cause.

They're artists.

Let them make their music.

If they genuinely believe in something, they're free to speak about it.

But I'm also free to question their motivations.

I'm free to wonder why they suddenly care.

I'm free to wonder why they didn't say anything before.

And I'm free to look at the entire celebrity political machine and say:

“This feels like a fucking bandwagon.”

Maybe I'm wrong about some of them.

Maybe some of them genuinely mean every word.

Fine.

But I'm not going to blindly assume that because a famous musician posts a political statement, that statement suddenly carries more weight.

Because at the end of the day, they're performers.

And performers know how to work a fucking crowd.

So when I see everyone obsessing over which celebrities are pro-Israel and which are pro-Palestine, my response is simple:

Stop treating the celebrity roster like it's going to determine the outcome.

It won't.

The artists aren't going to solve this.

Their songs aren't going to solve it.

Their Instagram posts aren't going to solve it.

Their celebrity beefs aren't going to solve it.

And eventually, the internet is going to move on to something else.

Because that's what the internet does.

I'm not saying I don't care about the people.

I absolutely fucking do.

I'm just being real with y'all about the difference between caring about people and believing every celebrity who suddenly tells you they care.

Those are two very different things. 

Comments

Popular posts

Why We Are Augustines Remain Underrated: Book of James, the Rockaways, and Indie-Folk Storytelling

Swing Meets Samba: A Pagode Fusion Cover of “The Girl from Ipanema”

Jessie J’s “Price Tag”: Why It Still Hits Different in 2025