The whole Pink and Macklemore thing is ridiculous.
I'm sorry, but it is.
You've got Pink criticizing Macklemore over his statements about Gaza and Palestine, and now we're watching two musicians go back and forth over one of the most complicated and horrific conflicts on the planet.
And honestly?
It's kinda cringe.
Not because either of them are forbidden from having an opinion.
They obviously aren't.
But why the fuck are we turning this into another celebrity feud?
Macklemore is a musician.
Pink is a musician.
Neither one of them is an Israeli politician.
Neither one of them is a Palestinian politician.
Neither one of them is a diplomat.
Neither one of them is sitting at a negotiating table trying to figure out how to end the conflict.
So what exactly are we doing here?
You've got two American musicians getting increasingly involved in a conflict happening thousands of miles away, neither of whom is directly involved in it, and now we're supposed to watch them argue over which side is right.
That's where I start rolling my eyes.
And before someone says, “But celebrities have a platform!”
Yes, they do.
Use it however you want.
But having a massive platform doesn't automatically mean your involvement is useful.
Sometimes it just means you're making a complicated situation into a fucking celebrity spectacle.
And that's what this feels like.
There are actual Palestinians living through this.
There are actual Israelis living through this.
There are families, civilians, hostages, soldiers, displaced people, and countless other human beings whose lives are directly affected by what happens.
Meanwhile, we're sitting here watching Pink and Macklemore argue about it.
Come on.
This isn't a fucking rap battle.
There isn't going to be a winner because one celebrity gets more likes or has the better Instagram post.
And honestly, I think both artists need to take a step back.
Not because they can't care.
They absolutely can care.
I care.
I want the best for Palestinians.
I want Israelis to be able to live in peace and security.
I want innocent people on both sides to stop suffering.
But caring about people doesn't mean I need to turn myself into an unofficial spokesperson for a conflict I'm not directly involved in.
And neither does Pink.
Neither does Macklemore.
They're musicians.
They make music.
Let them make music.
If they want to advocate for humanitarian causes, fine.
But when it turns into celebrities publicly going after each other over Israel and Palestine, that's when the whole thing starts feeling fucking ridiculous.
Because at the end of the day:
Pink isn't going to solve Israel and Palestine.
Macklemore isn't going to solve Israel and Palestine.
And their beef certainly isn't going to solve Israel and Palestine.
It's just another celebrity argument for the internet to obsess over.
And frankly?
The people actually living through this deserve better than becoming the backdrop for a celebrity feud.
Comments
Post a Comment